CUMC Memphis Updates

This site is used for posting updates from CUMC Memphis teams while on assignment worldwide. When the assignment involves security concerns, full names will not be used and locations may not be specified.

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Update from Tyler!

Greetings! I wish I could have been able to write sooner but I was unable to locate these so called “internet cafes” out in the bush of Africa. I have desired to share with everyone the amazing things that I have witnessed here while traveling from village to village.

I departed from Janet and Jackie and traveled to a village called Kolomo, which is south of Pemba. When I arrived in Kolomo I joined with a group of eight guys from the UK as well as Boyd, the director of the ministry with which I worked (BTN). There we did mostly teaching, preaching, and evangelizing. Every night we held revivals in the church and the word was preach and many came at the end of the services and gave their lives to Christ as well as received physical healing and deliverance from evil spirits. God was so faithful in showing himself to the people in Kolomo as well as in strengthening the faith of those who were already in a relationship with Him, including us. The numbers that were saved while in this area are numerous, and yes I am serious when I say that people were TRULY healed both physically and spiritually. I was a witness of the work Christ did for the people of Kolomo, as I was able to see with my own eyes and hear with my own ears evil spirits being cast out of people by the powerful name of Jesus! A child born deaf and mute, as well as people with other sicknesses, were healed and could then hear and speak and dance in the joy of the Lord!

I then traveled to Livingstone where we did a lot of door to door evangelism in the community around the Pilgrim Wesleyan Church of that area. Many there were also saved, healed and delivered. The last night there, we put on a service and a girl was freed from demons by the laying of hands on her and prayer in Jesus’ name.

From there the UK team drove back to Lusaka and flew back home while I also traveled to Lusaka for a day of rest and then traveled to Kabwe which is north of Lusaka. There I was able to take part in the establishing of a new church. I was also able to share Christ with those in that community through much door to door evangelism. As people began to put their faith in Christ, we set them up to join this newly forming congregation of believers and encouraged them to build this new church, which was only a brick wall structure without a roof.

From there we left and road and headed back to Lusaka. While we were in Lusaka we visited a small aids hospital. That was probably one of the most moving and heart wrenching experiences of my entire trip. We were able to visit each individual patient and try and encourage and strengthen them as they were really facing the last weeks of their lives. Many of them cried because they were so thankful to have us come and pray for them. We held their hands and told them that Christ truly loves them and never desires to see them in pain and sickness and that he desires for them to put their faith in Him so that he could give them peace and comfort in troubled times. Just our visit brought them encouragement because many of them never had any visitors from friends or even family. We prayed over them and asked God to heal them and we put our faith in the Lord that if it is his will he will free them from their sicknesses.

A few days afterwards I traveled again by bus across the rough roads of Africa to meet back up with Jackie an Ms. Janet. It was so good to see them and share stories and experiences with them! God has truly been faithful in everything that we have all been earnestly been praying for! God has brought so many people to himself this trip and has most definitely strengthened so many people’s faith most, especially our own. I really am so excited to share a lot more stories with ya’ll when we get back and just give a testimony to the greatness and faithfulness of our Lord and Savior! Miss and Love all ya’ll back home and can’t wait to be back with ya’ll all soon!

Love in Christ, Tyler