CUMC Memphis Updates

This site is used for posting updates from CUMC Memphis teams while on assignment worldwide. When the assignment involves security concerns, full names will not be used and locations may not be specified.

Monday, July 13, 2009

"Life Means So Much"


Friends and Prayer Warriors,
 
I am overwhelmed thinking that I have only 10 more days to spend in China. These past couple of weeks, the Lord has continually revealed himself to me through these little ones - through their smiles and laughter, through their lonliness and tears, and through their stories. I find myself getting so excited about the things that these children have done or said and then find myself deeply longing for these little ones to have forever families to celebrate over and be proud of these little things - the first steps, the first words, a first tooth, a good day at physical therapy, a great job on an art project. In longing for these things on behalf of these babies and children, I have been so convicted of the way that I so often have a tendency to love and believe God for what he does, not simply for who he is. I have prayed, "Lord, please give this little one a home ... show us you love her by strengthening her body enough for her to be able to be adopted into a wonderful forever family that will cherish her as you do. Bless this little one by getting her out of this place and into a home." When instead, I should pray, "Lord, I know that you love this little one. I do struggle with the fact that she is here and not with a forever family. I long for her to have someone to be proud of her every little accomplishment. But I trust, God, that you, as her Daddy, love and cherish her far more than I do and that you have intentionally and purposefully planned the days of her life, and I am thankful that that is who you are." There isn't necessarily anything wrong with the first point of view. It does, however, become a problem when believing God for what he can do hinders me from believing him for who he is, always has been, and always will be.
 
There is a song that I have prayed through every morning as I have woken up and readied for my day. It is called "Life Means So Much" (by Chris Rice).
 
Every day is a journal page; every man holds a quill and ink. And there's plenty of room for writing in all we do and believe and think. So will you compose a curse? Or will today bring the blessing? Fill the page with rhyming verse or some random sketching?

Teach us to count the days, teach us to make the days count. Lead us in better ways that somehow our souls forgot. Life means so much!

Every day is a bank account and time is our currency. So no one's rich, nobody's poor; we get 24 hours each. So how are you gonna spend? Will you invest or squander? Try to get ahead or help someone who's under?

Teach us to count the days, teach us to make the days count. Lead us in better ways that somehow our souls forgot. Life means so much!

Has anybody lived who knew the value of a life? And don't you think giving is all what proves the worth of yours and mine?

Teach us to count the days, teach us to make the days count. Lead us in better ways that somehow our souls forgot. Life means so much!

 
My prayer is that the Lord will reveal to each of you this week even just a little more of who he is, that you might learn along with me how to make the days count for eternity! Be encouraged - His character is one of faithfulness, graciousness, justice, wisdom, love, righteousness, truth, and redemption.
 
I love you, and I'm praying for you!!
Mary Holland
 
Here are some pictures from this past week :-)
--The first is baby Florence ... Florence is 7 months old and probably doesn't even weigh 10 pounds. She, unfortunately, spends a lot of time by herself in her bed. She is beautiful and I just love, love, love her!! I try to go visit her at least 4 days of the week to love on her and snuggle with her :-)
--The next is with Mei Mei ... Mei Mei is another one of the little ones that I just love! Not to pick favorites ... I could genuinely say that I love each and every one of these children! Mei Mei has especially captured my heart, though, because she is very, very sick and chances are, she will never be adopted. She is 4 years old, so fragile, and loves to be held and to sit in people's laps. I taught her the other day how to give me a kiss on the cheek after I give her a kiss on her cheek ... SO precious! My heart melts when I say "Wo ai ni (I love you), Mei Mei!" and she smiles and softly responds "wo ai ni!"
--The last is my sweet Grace!! This girl is precious! I (or pretty much anyone) can be feet away from her, call out her name, and when she turns and looks, her whole body smiles as she reaches to be picked up, saying "bao, bao" (up, up!) I love it!



Windows Liveā„¢ HotmailĀ®: Find, add, and share the best celeb pics, right from Hotmail. Check it out.