CUMC Memphis Updates

This site is used for posting updates from CUMC Memphis teams while on assignment worldwide. When the assignment involves security concerns, full names will not be used and locations may not be specified.

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Back Home Safely

As I write this final update, I am back home in Memphis.

On Tuesday and Wednesday I taught approximately 35 OM leaders from across southern India utilizing an abbreviated version of my Maximum Kingdom IMPACT! material. This trip allowed me two opportunities to teach the material outside the North American context and I am very glad. As I knew would be the case, I discovered which principles are particularly problematic or require a different explanation.

The first day went fine, but I didn't feel well physically and was very unsure how effective my teaching had been. On the second day I felt back to full speed and God blessed our time together in amazing ways! We had many fascinating and practical conversations about how to implement servant leadership in a culture that only responds to authoritarian leadership. These leaders were very insightful, practical, and totally committed to leading like Jesus as best they could.

After I had concluded, they did a short debrief in which many of them wanted to share their reactions to our time together. I was so humbled to hear their comments and encouraged to hear specific ways they intended to apply what we had discussed together. As I sat in the airport late that night, I could only thank God for allowing me to participate, yet again, in what He is doing around the world.

I left Bangalore at 3:30 AM the following morning (Thursday), making stops in Frankfurt and Chicago before being met by my family at the airport back in Memphis.

Thanks for your prayers and interest throughout this trip...It was a wonderful experience and I hope you will consider joining one of our dozens of international missions opportunities throughout 2008.

For Christ & His Kingdom!

Matthew