November 26th -- Bangalore, India
Our team has arrived safely in Bangalore!
Arnold, Christopher, and Matthew all arrived very early on Sunday morning having traveled through Atlanta and Paris. (Stan had arrived one day before us although his flights were delayed about 3 hours.)
After a couple of hours sleep, we split up and attended three different church services, with Stan, Arnold, and Matthew giving the messages in each respective church.
Christopher and I (Matthew) were together at a church with about 50 in attendance. It was in a basement and we all removed our shoes before stepping onto the blankets that covered the entire floor where those in attendance sat and kneeled throughout the 1 hour and 45 minute service--which was unusually short because I was preaching :-).
Even though I have been in an Indian church service many times before, I was still struck by the level of engagement and joy these believers display when they worship! One young girl, maybe 6 or 7 years old, knelt on the front row and sang her heart out with hands lifted high and the brightest smile you could imagine. As I watched everyone worship, it hit me how much of a contrast their worship experience is compared to the harsh realities of their daily lives…I think they understand better than I do that they are practicing for being in Jesus’ presence.
Two of the adult participants actually started dancing. I met one of those adults after the service, a man in his 50’s who first attended the church about 6 months before. He was Hindu and originally came because he was very sick, even vomiting blood. The pastor and members prayed over him and he has been well for many months. During that process, he was also released from a demonic presence and placed his faith in Christ. Now I know to many of you reading this that it all sounds crazy--this stuff is straight out of the book of Acts, but it still happens in the church today, especially in places where the Gospel is opposed and the Holy Spirit intervenes routinely on behalf of Christ’s followers!
Not only did I have an opportunity to meet this man and pray for him, but also his Hindu friend who he brought to church for the first time. I knelt in the floor with him and prayed for the Holy Spirit’s work in his heart, calling him to faith in Christ. During moments like that, it is as if the entire world just fades into the background as eternal destinies hang in the balance.
We all regrouped for lunch with many of the Operation Mobilization (OM) staff and then spent about two hours experiencing the shopping markets in Bangalore. We then returned to our housing, totally exhausted, and collapsed for a long night’s sleep. Our housing is different this time, actually in a conference center attached to a bible college only a mile or so from where the pastor’s conference will be held. The accommodations are great, even a bit embarrassing because of how nice they are compared to the living conditions of those we are here to serve.
Thanks for your prayers! We are off to a great start…we are praying for the Holy Spirit to be at work this week in a big way among these pastors. Please join us in that prayer.
Arnold, Christopher, and Matthew all arrived very early on Sunday morning having traveled through Atlanta and Paris. (Stan had arrived one day before us although his flights were delayed about 3 hours.)
After a couple of hours sleep, we split up and attended three different church services, with Stan, Arnold, and Matthew giving the messages in each respective church.
Christopher and I (Matthew) were together at a church with about 50 in attendance. It was in a basement and we all removed our shoes before stepping onto the blankets that covered the entire floor where those in attendance sat and kneeled throughout the 1 hour and 45 minute service--which was unusually short because I was preaching :-).
Even though I have been in an Indian church service many times before, I was still struck by the level of engagement and joy these believers display when they worship! One young girl, maybe 6 or 7 years old, knelt on the front row and sang her heart out with hands lifted high and the brightest smile you could imagine. As I watched everyone worship, it hit me how much of a contrast their worship experience is compared to the harsh realities of their daily lives…I think they understand better than I do that they are practicing for being in Jesus’ presence.
Two of the adult participants actually started dancing. I met one of those adults after the service, a man in his 50’s who first attended the church about 6 months before. He was Hindu and originally came because he was very sick, even vomiting blood. The pastor and members prayed over him and he has been well for many months. During that process, he was also released from a demonic presence and placed his faith in Christ. Now I know to many of you reading this that it all sounds crazy--this stuff is straight out of the book of Acts, but it still happens in the church today, especially in places where the Gospel is opposed and the Holy Spirit intervenes routinely on behalf of Christ’s followers!
Not only did I have an opportunity to meet this man and pray for him, but also his Hindu friend who he brought to church for the first time. I knelt in the floor with him and prayed for the Holy Spirit’s work in his heart, calling him to faith in Christ. During moments like that, it is as if the entire world just fades into the background as eternal destinies hang in the balance.
We all regrouped for lunch with many of the Operation Mobilization (OM) staff and then spent about two hours experiencing the shopping markets in Bangalore. We then returned to our housing, totally exhausted, and collapsed for a long night’s sleep. Our housing is different this time, actually in a conference center attached to a bible college only a mile or so from where the pastor’s conference will be held. The accommodations are great, even a bit embarrassing because of how nice they are compared to the living conditions of those we are here to serve.
Thanks for your prayers! We are off to a great start…we are praying for the Holy Spirit to be at work this week in a big way among these pastors. Please join us in that prayer.
<< Home